Baptism of our Lord Sunday
- It was a scandal! Matthew 3:13-17
- The Son of God submitted Himself to being baptized by crazy John in the dirty Jordan river.
God inserts Himself into our lives where we are, to call us to Him.
Our God tells us of His purpose and His character, Jesus.
Do you remember your baptism?
- The Jordan is no great and mighty stream, and yet that is part of it's power.
- In baptism we haven't gained God's favor because of our power and might but because we have submitted ourselves to the Spirit of God.
What name is to be given to this child?
- In baptism you are christened into the body of Christ. This is a name that does not change through the tides of life.
- In Christian baptism you are named a child of God: loved, valued, worthy, and called.
- In baptism we throw off the shackles of doubt and fear.
I'm a child of God. Today I can make a difference in the world.
We have the most amazing calling in the world, those of us who have surrendered to the will of the Holy Spirit.
Is there part of your life you won't give over to Christ?
- He surrendered His (whole) self for you.
- God can't bless what you won't let Him bless.
- You can't stop Him from loving you but you can stop Him from blessing you.
Love is spelled T-I-M-E
- We are called to love the world, so we have to take the time to engage with others.
We are called to submission to Christ in every way. Time, service, talents, money, work, family, life, etc.
The promise of Christ is He is always with us, to speak a word of justice, hope, and love.