We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Follow Love - 2012 (Goodbye to St. Paul UMC)


The things that stand out in my mind from growing up in this family:
1.      Children’s Church, moving from the little pews in the front of the room to the big ones in the back, and being the cool big kid that got to help poor the apple juice.
a.      This is where I learned memory verses like John 3:16 and The Lord’s Prayer.
b.      I also learned that you do not EVER run in the church.
c.      I also learned the church calendar and what it meant to care about other people’s joys and concerns just as much as mine.
2.      Air vents as a child were meant for Amanda Young and I to see whose dresses was bigger.
3.      We always stuck our hands in the vacuum holes when there weren’t adults around because it felt cool when our hands were stuck, but our parents didn’t like it when we did that.
4.      Easter & Christmas always equaled a new dress, annual pictures, and a height contest!
5.      I will never forget how important I felt when my prayer partner left me a card or small gift on the table by the front door.
6.      In children’s choir, Amanda and I always made up actions to the songs, but Janet never let us do them in public! That is also where I learned that Peanut Butter is a cure for hiccups. I always wanted to get hiccups in choir so Janet would take me somewhere and bring me back without them. I had to ask Amanda when we were older what the secret was.
7.      It was special to make it to 6th grade so I could finally acolyte; little did I know that job would still be mine over a decade later.
8.      Vacation Bible School, the songs and games were always a lot of fun and I secretly disagreed on Millie’s brownies being the best, she put nuts on them, I didn’t know what I was missing when I picked them off.
9.      My class was the odd class that stayed in the same Sunday school classroom from Kindergarten through sixth grade. I remember going from Theresa’s class to Dac’s and then back to Theresa’s.
10.   I remember thinking that my cousins were the coolest people I knew and I couldn’t wait to join them in Youth Group. It never sank in, until I got there, that they were almost all enough older than me that they weren’t there anymore.
11.   I remember when Church Garage Sales were fun, and I also remember when I realized they were actually a lot of work.
12.   The bats were probably the scariest thing ever, and I will never forget the time I was organizing the shoes for the garage sale and one came flying out of the shoes, we called the animal control lady, and she had just wrangled a skunk.
13.   I remember when we decided to switch youth group from Sunday to Wednesday so we would have something to talk about.
14.   Youth Sunday’s were always my favorite, when Barbara and Bob were in charge we got to go to the Donut shop during Sunday school, which seemed like the coolest thing ever.
15.   Amanda and I felt so special when we were asked to be on the color committee for the renovation, but we were kind of sad when nobody agreed with us that purple would be a good color. And yes, I do remember the green carpet!
16.   I remember being so upset on the METour because I was missing Jim & Sheila’s last day here, I was so upset the “moms” let me call and say goodbye, and then I think I cried the rest of the day.
17.   Filling the Easter eggs for the hunt is still one of my favorite things to do.
18.   The tailgate dinner always equaled sunburns for me. Especially the time Amanda and I wore the florescent poster board signs and walked around on Summit to get people to come.
19.   I still get a little nervous when walking down the hallway upstairs in the dark, from all the times in youth group someone was hiding and would jump out.
20.   I remember when I wasn’t allowed in the alley behind the church and sitting on the table may have been ok for other people but it was never allowed for us.
21.   I can tell you the seating arrangement for the entire congregation when this place is empty or even when I’m not here at all.
22.   One of the perks of a small church is the one room Sunday school we have in the back. There are times that Sunday school is my favorite time of the week. And it will be one of the things that I miss the most.
23.   This building has gone from being a place that I went, to a place I had to go, to a place I brought all of my friends, to the place that I come to when nothing makes sense.
24.   These steps have seen me in so many different phases in my life. I was baptized here, grew up here, confirmed here, wrote my first sermon here, questioned everything here, and someday I plan on coming back and saying I do right here.
I could go on for hours with things that stand out in my mind about this place and the people here. Growing up in this church has been a blessing. I can’t imagine my life without this church being in it. This church is more than just St. Paul UMC to me, it is my family of course almost half of the congregation I am actually related to, but the rest of you I consider to be my family as well. I have always thought that the worst part of my calling is that eventually it was going to take me away from here. Sadly that day is today. Today is my last Sunday in Ark City for quite awhile. Eventually my schedule will calm down and I will be able to come home and visit, and yes St. Paul is home for me. Growing up I have spent just as much time here as anywhere else. Church was like an extracurricular activity for me. It was here in this building that I discovered my love for youth ministry, it was here that I got hands on experience in children’s ministry, it was here that I learned there were politics in church, it was here that I almost gave up on my calling, and it was here that it came back stronger than ever before, it was here that learned what it meant to be a Christian.
I have spent a lot of time in the past couple of years dreaming for this congregation. When we split a few years ago I remember being so scared that we were going to have close the doors and walk away that was something that was unfathomable to me. At that time it was hard to see past all of our broken hearts and see a future, except that I can tell you that the first Sunday after everything happened was the first Sunday in almost a year that I felt the Holy Spirit moving freely in these walls. It was then that I started dreaming again, and this time not just for me.
There is a future here. We have gained three new members in the last three years, so what if they were all three a few weeks ago. That is three new members, and that does not include all of the growth that is happening. We have a Children’s time that is usually equivalent to a church twice our size. There is a future here, because there are still children here. There may be a significant age gap in our attendants but that doesn’t mean there isn’t promise here.
There is a ministry that happens every week that is unlike any I have ever been a part of anywhere else. If you haven’t made it here to experience the SHARE meal, then you really need to make time to come on a Wednesday evening. It may be the most exhausting afternoon and evening of your week but it will also be the most rewarding. Sometimes those people can be frustrating and push your buttons, but when that girl comes back for her third or fourth plate because they have no food at home, your heart just breaks.
There is a future here. I can see, many potential ministries that could be happening if people would just commit. Rebecca and I had our own small group time for most a whole semester until my schedule got too crazy. We made some really cool hair bows, and went on some fun walks; we even tried our own Zumba class.
There are classrooms upstairs that are just itching for someone to use them. There is a future here, this congregation is growing. I have chosen to be quiet and not share my dreams for this congregation because, just like everyone else my schedule is over packed, but I can’t leave without sharing a few with you. When you are ready to try something crazy and new, reach out to the college, open up those classroom and let them use them for small groups or something, and just maybe after they use the building some of them will come for church. We have a lot of young families in this church so maybe there could be some kind of date night, where the church members offer free babysitting for parents to go on a date. I think it is time that we held a small VBS again, there are some young ones that I know would have a blast doing something like that, and it wouldn’t have to be elaborate or anything.
My dreams for this place are that those little ones that are upstairs in the nursery will be able to stand up here someday with some of the same kind of memories that I have. VBS, Children’s Church, and Youth Group, they are your future. I dare you to dream just take time and dream for this place without thinking of the time commitments and money. Just dream and as you dream start reaching for those dreams and things will fall into place.
In high school I always dreamt about what I would do if I had my own youth group to run. What games we would play and what lessons we would have. Somewhere those dreams took control of my life and became much more than just dreams. They became the only thing I wanted to do with my life; they became my calling, my education, my hobby, and my one true passion. My dreams for my life are coming true, so now I dare you to dream for this congregation for this church and for you.
And know that even though I’m not here, I’m still a part of this family. I will always call this my home and I will always return. I see you as my brothers and sisters, parents, grandparents, cousins, and aunts and uncles. And this isn’t goodbye at all it is just, see you later. I want to say thank you for always being there, thank you for always caring about my life, thank you for taking the time to make me feel important, thank you for investing in my life, and thank you for pushing me to be better. I couldn’t get up here without sharing a song with you all, so here is my “goodbye” song. “Follow Love” by FFH.

No comments: