We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Friday, August 31, 2012

Twenty Something

What does a 23 year old single youth pastor do on a Friday night when the high school football team is away...she eats dinner with her best friend, her husband, and her one year old. Then she drives around for an hour, comes home does laundry, dishes, and watches TV while coloring.

That's right I am and ridiculously boring.

I have been in Hesston for two and a half weeks now. It has been a little crazy. My first few days I was able to unpack and get everything situated and meet with Steph and figure a few things out before she moved to Illinois.

I started full time on the 20th. So I have had two full weeks at the church. It feels kind of like complete chaos at times and others it is almost boring. This is one of those things that I wish someone would just give me a to do list so I can work through it, but I am at the planning stage.

My planning consists of:

  • Bible Zone (K-4)
    • I still don't really understand how this program works.
    • Steph had the curriculum ready but it doesn't really make sense so Pastor G and I started to rework some of it. It needed more depth.
    • So now it is just a pile of confusion.
  • Mission Possible (5-6)
    • We finally have someone who has agreed to teach this, which is a huge relief.
    • The problem is there was no curriculum. 
    • I spent a good two days working on creating some curriculum to hand the teachers.
    • I have a bunch of ideas on paper but nothing ready to go.
  • Faith Girlz (7-8)
    • I am very excited about this, this group has the potential to be pretty awesome
    • Not to mention I love working with Junior High Girls
    • But for some reason this one is also intimidating to me.
    • I have a lot of ideas for this group but haven't put anything down on paper.
    • I spent this afternoon making a power point for our first meeting, so I guess that is a start.
  • Gods Guys (7-8)
    • I have teachers for this group.
    • And this should probably be easy to plan.
    • I just need to do it
  • Youth Group (9-12)
    • We had our first youth group meeting this week
      • We had a tie dye party. 
      • Only four kids showed up.
      • I was pretty disappointed.
      • But we had fun
      • I want youth group to be really powerful, but it also has to be active because it is currently consisting of four Sophomore boys. 
      • I need to find a guy to work with me.
  • Sunday School (K-12)
    • I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Needless to say that is my day to day thought process. To top all of that off the church is in the process of kicking off a Capitol Campaign...currently that is just a bunch of stress and copies and I really have no idea what it all means. I just show up to my meetings and don't say much act like I have it all figured out and then go back to my office and try to figure out what to do next.

I started writing a sermon yesterday that I will probably give before the end of the month. I wrote a page and then had to take a phone call so I will probably rewrite the whole things. 

I have met a couple of friends since I have been here. I feel like such a little kid when I say that but its true and exciting. I don't have school anymore to help me meet people and I don't exactly work with anyone in the office that is even relatively close to my age. More like my mother and grandmother. 

I have also connected with the new Choir Director at Hesston High School. And I think I may just have my hands back in the theatre world. I may be helping some with costumes and make up. This shall be fun. I hope I don't put too much on my plate, but I really need to do something other than work and sit at home on my computer.

Well there you have it, my crazy, chaotic, boring life!

No comments: