We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Safe Haven


I recently read Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. I happen to be a fan of Nicholas Sparks, I haven't read one of his books that I don't like. I have this thing that if I watch the movie then I will never go back and read the book, so I generally read the book first. So when the movie came out, I really wanted to see it so I took the time to read it first.

This book takes an inside look at the effects an abusive relationship has on someone. Sparks does a really good job giving both sides of the unhealthy relationship, from the psychotic justification in the husband's brain to the gut wrenching fear in the wife. The story unfolds as Katie moves into a quiet town to restart her life laying low. She is a waitress and she lives on the outskirts of town in a cottage, and as she is constantly looking over her shoulder she slowly starts to fall in love with the people she meets. The owner of the grocery store and his children just happen to be three people who catch her attention and keep it. Alex is a widower and he is raising his two young children and running the store. He is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure his family is happy. His daughter has an instant connection with Katie and she seems to continue to bring them together. After a few dates and play days with the kids Alex and Katie can't seem to spend enough time with each other. Katie lets her guard down and lets Alex in, she tells him her past and slowly starts to heal.

The book goes back and forth between the characters' points of view. I think that when Sparks starts to really get into Katie's husband's mind things get really real. He fully believes that he doesn't do anything wrong when he hits her and controls her life. He is angry because she left him, and he quotes scripture a lot. Even though everything he is doing is against what God has planned for marriage it is justified in his messed up mind. I have always thought the mind is an interesting thing to study. There was definitely a lot of psychology that went into this book to be able to write out the insane husband so well, and the victim yet strongness in the wife, and the caring profound love in Alex. I think that Nicholas Sparks did a really good job with this book. If you are looking for a book that will open you up intellectually and emotionally all at the same time being a great chick book then I recommend this one!

1 comment:

Breenah said...

This one actually sounds interesting! Most of Nicholas Sparks' books are pretty general with boy and girl fall in love, bad thing happens, it gets kinda fixed, the end. While it still sounds like that happens, it sounds like it might be interesting instead of boring. Have you watched the movie yet? Was it good?