We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Monday, March 4, 2013

One Year Anniversary

March 8, 2012 I left Camp Horizon in the early afternoon to drive north for the first time to Hesston, KS. Probably the most nervous drive of my life. I pulled into the Chinese Restaurant parking lot and parked. I was early, like planned. As I sat in my car for a couple of minutes praying, I looked out my windshield to see a camper parked at the camp grounds with a huge scorpion painted on it. I had to laugh at the fact that a scorpion felt reassuring and like home. I took a deep breath and went inside. I don't really remember a lot about my interview with the Staff Parish from the church. I was so nervous that it was hard to enjoy my honey chicken that I was so excited the restaurant had. I remember the faces that were all so reassuring and the ease of the conversation at hand. We then drove over to the church and finished the interview there. They gave me a tour of the church and everything seemed good. I drove away to spend the night in Newton with my close friends Sabrina & Jarrod. I did my best not to get my hopes up as I fell in love with everyone I had just met.

March 9, 2012 I woke up a lot earlier than normal because Quinn was ready to be awake and Jarrod was headed to work. So I enjoyed spending time with Sabrina and Quinn that morning as I got ready for round two. I had a lunch interview in Salina for another church. As I drove past the Hesston sign on the way north I couldn't help but smile, and my heart really did not want to drive all the way to Salina, but I told myself I couldn't get too excited and I had to keep my options open. That hour drive was spent in prayer about my life, my future, and God's plan for me. I pulled into the church and got a tour of the building, and then went to lunch with the pastor and a couple Staff Parish members. This was an informal interview that had the potential of leading to a full interview. They were so nice setting it up last minute for me so that I could do both in one trip. I remembered at the time how much I had fallen in love with the town of Salina the previous summer during other interviews and how much I wasn't a fan that day. As I was leaving the interview, it just didn't feel like the night before but I was trying not to compare the churches and give this one the fairness it deserved of standing on its own. I got a text that the children's director from Hesston wanted to talk to me after one. I didn't want to be on the phone while driving so I went to Target to kill some time. I bought a swim suit top that I had been wanting and debriefed the interviews on the phone with my mother. As I pulled into Sonic the children's director called me and we talked. She was so excited to meet me and was so nice and positive on the phone, I couldn't help but get my hopes up. As I left Salina the reality of everything started to sink in. There weren't any other openings that I knew of and Salina just did not feel right, I couldn't allow myself to get too excited about how awesome Hesston felt because I had had the same feelings at a previous church and I didn't get that job. As I drove I couldn't stop the emotions as I prayed, "God, if it isn't Hesston, I don't want to play this game anymore." In trying to keep my hopes at a normal level my doubts started to creep up, but by the time I passed McPherson I was smiling and had a peace of heart. I got back to Hesston and decided to drive through the town during the daylight so I could see what all there was in town. One of the first things I saw was the Police Truck. I laughed because once again something so trivial was so reassuring. As I drove out of the town I got a text from Stan asking when he could call. I told him in 30min, and I drove to the mall in Newton and parked, and waited.  The phone call came and he offered me the job, it was all I could do not to scream yes, as I realized I wanted to discuss this large decision with my parents before accepting. I called my mom and we talked and by the end of the conversation she asked why I hadn't already said yes, she told my grandparents that I got the job. I then called my other grandmas and told them. I called my brother and told him I was moving to Hesston, and he told me I had to wait until his transmission in his truck was fixed, and then I realized I hadn't even accepted the position yet. I called Stan back and said yes. We set up that I would return to Hesston the following Wednesday to meet the kids.

It really is hard to believe that it has already been a year. So much in my life has changed since last March. From March to August were probably some of the hardest, most stressful, rewarding times of my life as I drove to Hesston every week to work with the kids and returned to Camp to fulfill my duties as the Graduate Intern there as well. I was swamped with homework, as I was determined to complete my Master's degree in less than a year, and at home we were housing a very troubled young lady that was pushing against everything we had to offer. I was Maid of Honor for my friend Leslie and planning her showers and wedding events, and somehow trying to keep my head on my shoulders and staying true to all of my commitments.

This past year truly has been insane. I feel so incredibly blessed to have this job and get to spend my time with all of these amazing students that choose to spend their time here. I have met so many incredible families and people that are part of the ministry happening here. Yes, there are days that I think I'm going to pull my hair out, and days that I would rather stay in bed than deal with the stesses and chaos that are part of working in a church but I wouldn't trade my job for any other. As much as I love camp and talk about it, my heart is here. I know that to be true. When I spend time away from the kids I miss them, I get excited when they are excited. This is my calling, this is my life, this is who I am. I looking forward to all the amazing things we will be able to do in Year 2!!!

1 comment:

Breenah said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! I kinda miss hanging out with you Wednesday nights/Thursday mornings! I'm so glad that you found a great church and I bet they're glad they found you too!