We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Red Devil Nights

I decided at the beginning of this year that I would write a blog post about each book I read this year. Well I'm a little behind. A month or so ago I read Red Devil Nights by Lewis Mann. Yes, we are somehow related, my dad had decided to read his book since we are related so when he finished I decided I should read it. My dad is dyslexic and reading isn't easy so when he really likes a book I know it is going to be a good one.

This book takes place in Lamont, Oklahoma in the 50's. Obviously neither my father nor myself were around back then but we know that town and the other towns mentioned in the story. This book is fiction but it is based off of a lot of true stories that happened back then. It is a great coming of age story from a tiny town in Oklahoma that most people haven't heard of. I don't want to give too much away to spoil it for someone that might want to read it. Good luck trying to figure out the fictional pieces and the true ones.

For me it was really cool, because I have grown up going to Lamont for Easter every year that I can really remember. I used to go hunting with my father and grandfather there as well. We have family there, and then the story talks a lot about Blackwell & Enid. My grandparents and a lot of my family live in Blackwell and that is where my father is from. I always find it interesting to read a book that takes place somewhere where I actually know where it is and have been there.

I recommend this short country book about growing up in Oklahoma!


No comments: