We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Monday, November 18, 2013

Forgotten God

Forgotten God by Francis Chan is a book study I recently led here at work. I decided to lead this book study without reading the book beforehand. I did Crazy Love by the same author in the spring and it was the third time I had read that book, so I decided it would be interesting to read it for the first time with everyone else. The way we do this is we read a chapter during the week and then we meet together for discussion. This book comes with a workbook and a video to be used in the class setting.

The book is very capable of standing on its own without the supplemental material. This was a difficult book to read in the sense that it is very challenging. I think I am going to have to read it again in a couple of years to help digest it all. I think the next time I will probably read it on my own. I love Francis Chan as an author, he has a way of writing that I get, and he points things out that I know but needed to hear. Sometimes I'm a bit of a know it all, so it is refreshing to read something that makes me sit back and go oh yeah....that's right.....I think I knew that....but yeah! If you know me you can probably follow that thought process.

I like Crazy Love better than Forgotten God, but it may be because I'm partial to it, I mean I have read it three times.

Forgotten God is a book that was written to rewrite everything you know about the Holy Spirit. He tries to have you strip away your preconceived notions and look at it purely from a Biblical standpoint. There were definitely a lot of slap in the face moments, no one wants to be reminded of the ways they fall short, but we need to be reminded.

My favorite part is all of the scriptural references that he uses, both Old and New Testament. It was nice to be reminded just how often the Holy Spirit is mentioned in scripture.

This is not a book to be digested quickly or lightly but I highly recommend it.

As always the picture of the book is a link to Amazon where you can purchase it if you want to.

No comments: