We live in a world of sin and imperfection. I am a child of God striving each day to live out my calling. Welcome to my blog where you get the inside scoop of this Child of God's life!
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

Monday, February 3, 2014

The Appropriate Role of Spiritual Experience in the Church

Psalm 121: 1-2
"I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth."

This just so happens to be my favorite scripture. It became my favorite scripture because it was on the "mountain" or hill top that I first experienced the Holy Spirit. It was on the "mountain" top that I first experienced the complete loss of self as the Spirit took over and a led a conversation for me. It is to the "mountain" top I return when I can't remember why I do what I do or need to know what to do next or where my life is going or supposed to go.

David found refuge from Saul up in the mountains. Moses had to go to the mountain to be in the presence of God. Each time he went to the mountain he came back a changed man, with a new found Spirit and understanding of God.

Spiritual experiences or "mountain top" experiences are vital for connection to God. It's on the mountain that the noises of the world fall away and we are able to hear the still small voice of God. Its on the mountain that we can look out over our life in the valley and see the beauty of the mundane things we do every day. It's from the mountain we can see how the painful changes in our life come from the rivers that give us life and growth.

And when we return to the Valley where we must live our lives it is to the mountain we look for comfort and reassurance.

Without these experiences we often lose sight of who we are and what our purpose is. Its these kind of foundational spiritual experiences we should be offering in our programs and activities. Without the experience of our hearts being strangely warmed it is hard to start a movement that catches like wildfire.

Psalm 121: 1-2
"I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth."

No comments: